- You make long hours and have an irregular schedule. It is easy to fall behind in a group lesson if you haven't had time to do homework or had to miss classes. You are basically at mercy of your instructor and the needs of the other students. Through the unique way YouDaywithMay is designed, you have each and every class tailored to your needs, taught when and where you want it.
- How can I meet other expats if I take private lessons?
- That is easy -just check out the calendar of events and see if there is anything you want to sign up for. Activities are generally free or at a very low cost to cover the organisor's expenses.
- Well, I am definitely not an average language teacher. I was born in Amsterdam, but raised bilingually speaking Dutch and English. I am a former expat myself, have a PhD in Comparative Literature from New York University, and have taught several languages and literatures at universities in the United States and Canada. I can relate to your need to quickly become adjusted to your new life in the Netherlands and I can give you lots of practical advice about living in Amsterdam. You won't get a boring traditional language class from me!
- And if that's not enough, I can teach in English, Spanish or Portuguese, as desired. I am a member of the Beroepsvereniging Nederlands als tweede taal and have followed numerous workshops on teaching Dutch as a second language.
- Prices: 60euro's for a 90 minute lesson. A special package of twenty hours costs only 400 euro. First lesson without any obligation, so if you don't want more, it's free! Sorry, no refunds, and you need to take all the lessons within 6 months.
While private lessons may seem more expensive at first, many students find they ultimately spend less money (and time) because they learn faster and need fewer lessons overall.
The concept of private lessons allows us to break away from the traditional classroom setting. I can come to your office or home, but many students like to meet in a quiet coffee place or restaurant of their choice. There is no travel time charge for meetings in the center of Amsterdam or within easy cycling distance.